A view of Juneau looking south from downtown in the 1930's. The gutted Goldstein Building in the foreground is the former location of the KINY studios. The building was destroyed by fire in 1939 and later rebuilt. In the distance, the Alaska Juneau Mine can be seen rising up the mountains on the left, and a peninsula of rock tailings from the mine can be seen extending out into the Gastineau Channel. KINY built their second antenna and transmitter site near the end of the peninsula. The dumping of rock on this peninsula was discontinued in the 1930's, and it was later dumped by barge into the middle of the channel. Operations at the A-J mine were discontinued in 1944.