The KOMO-KJR transmitter facility on Harbor Island was completed in 1936. At the time, the 573 foot tall Blaw-Knox tower was the highest in the nation. The station reported having invested $223,000 in the new facility. This photo, looking East-Northeast, was taken shortly after the site's completion. The small buildings on the eastern edge of Harbor Island are part of the "Hooverville" shantytown of the depression years. Downtown Seattle is visible on the opposite shore.
The picture below shows the same scene, taken in 1964. The Todd Shipyards and Lockheed Boat Manufacturing plants are now on the peninsula opposite Harbor Island.
[Return to Home Page]