KFUS was a 50-watt station begun in 1925 by Dr. Louis L. Sherman, operating from his home at 28th Street and Telegraph Avenue in Oakland, where he also maintained his medical practice and taught classes in medicine. KFUS broadcast an odd combination of medical advice and religious programming. Dr. Sherman preached his particular viewpoint that the road to health required attention to the liver and the purity of bodily fluids.
KFUS's license was revoked by the Federal Radio Commission in 1928, for violations of the requirement for frequency stability. However, Dr. Sherman continued to broadcast on KRE for the next several decades.
TOP LEFT: a class of students from Dr. Sherman's medical school is shown posed in the
combination lecture room and studio.
TOP RIGHT: Some of the people who appeared on KFUS posed for this group photo outside of the Sherman home. Dr. Sherman is in the back row, third from the right.
CENTER LEFT: A view of the KFUS studio in the parlor of the Sherman home.
LOWER LEFT: The only remnant of KFUS is this tower on the property of the Havenscourt Colonial Church in Oakland. It was one of the two original KFUS towers. (Google Earth)
LOWER RIGHT: A letter of protest written by Dr. Louis L. Sherman to the Federal Radio Commission in 1928, protesting the revocation of his station license. (National Archives)