This view shows the main control room of the General Electric station in Oakland. Equipment here provided power and amplification for the condenser microphones in both studios, selected which studio was on the air, and adjusted the program modulation. Audio amplifiers in these cabinets transmitted the program audio to the transmitter building over two six pair audio cables.
The operator at right is monitoring a receiver, and listening for distress calls from ships at sea. This was required of all coastal broadcast stations in the early 1920's.